Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Another Way to Fight Cancer

The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute provides outstanding cancer-patient care in addition to conducting research that, I believe, will one day make cancer history. I've recently begun donating platelets at the Kraft Family Blood Donor Center at Dana-Farber. In a way, I feel like I've deepened my connection to the fight against cancer, and all it takes is 90 minutes every two weeks.
Platelets are a component of your blood that aids in clotting. A cancer patient's platelet supply is diminished, so they need regular platelet transfusions. Platelets are collected through a process called apheresis, during which your blood is collected and the platelets are separated and removed from your whole blood supply. The remainder of your blood is returned to you through the same needle that took the blood from your arm. The whole process takes about 90 minutes, and since you receive back your whole blood minus some platelets, you are able to donate every two weeks (as opposed to every 8 weeks for a unit of whole blood). The best part - they seat you in ergonomic (and heated) lounge chairs, plus you get to watch a movie - your choice! Oh, and the free cookies!
In addition to donating platelets, I've been registered in the National Marrow Donor Program. I'll be ready and willing to donate bone marrow to a compatible cancer patient if there is ever a need. I highly suggest you consider both donating platelets and registering as a potential marrow donor.
In riding the PMC, I am using my body to help raise funds for cutting-edge cancer research. In donating platelets, I am similarly using my body to aid in the life-saving cancer treatment that Dana-Farber provides. Both activities are some of the most fulfilling in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great picture!