Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Obey the Law!


This morning, on my regular bike commute to school, I was reminded of why it's a good idea that we all obey the rules of the road. While waiting at a red light, I heard a loud screech-boom (yes, it was one sound) and saw a bicyclist flying in the air to my left. The bicyclist appeared shaken and his bike was a bit mangled. The driver was in tears. My heart was pounding (yes, even more than usual).
As my light stayed red, I had the time to reconstruct the crash in my mind and realized that the cyclist had run a red light. It made me feel a little better knowing that - I obey the traffic signals, so that will not happen to me. Still, I felt bad for the cyclist - his day, and possibly his bike, was ruined. I felt even worse for the driver - she didn't cause the accident.
Still, even if cyclists obey the laws, they're still vulnerable. At the very end of my training ride on Sunday, a driver nearly pulled out of a liquor store driveway right in front of me. I yelled "STOP" as loud as I could, and was safe. He probably thinks I'm a jerk. I was just happy to get home in one piece.
Cyclists and drivers - please obey the rules of the road. They are there for your own safety!
PS - the above photo is a dramatic reenactment of the crash I witnessed this morning. No kittens were harmed in the taking of the photo. :)

1 comment:

chikkupukku said...

lol lol lol at the picture. i'm glad the person is Ok. when you mentioned this in class yesterday, i was horrified because i once witnessed a bike-car crash. and the cyclist died. still a little traumatized by that.