Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Let the Summer Begin!

Hello from Chicago! I've been here for just over two weeks now, and I'm finally getting used to all the changes (people are friendly here, and not just when they want something from you!!). The weather hasn't been great, but I have been exploring none-the-less.
My bike arrived almost undamaged. The skewer in my front wheel came slightly bent, so I went to a nearby bike shop and had it replaced for $14.99 plus tax (which is 10.25% in Illinois!!!). Not bad - it could have been much worse.
Just yesterday I finally got out on my bike for my first ride in the Midwest. I joined up with a group of cyclists from the Chicago Cycling Club. Every Monday they offer a training ride where the leaders teach riders how to efficiently ride in a paceline. They advertise the average speed to be 18-20 mph, just above my comfort level. I have to challenge myself out here, though. They don't have ANY hills!!
The ride went great. I had only ridden in a paceline casually before, so it was great to get some more experience with some coaching. I was able to keep up most of the time, except when the leader yelled "SPRINT!". That's when they lost me. Oh well - I'll surely be among the fastest when I've had time to get a few more miles under my belt.
Sunday is looking like it'll be a nice day, so I'll probably venture out on my own for the first time. More updates to follow!

No comments: