Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Common Goal


The first weekend in August is the highlight of my summer – I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. Riding 190 miles through the quaint villages and rural towns of Massachusetts with the support of 5,000 other cyclists, nearly 3,000 volunteers, and countless supporters lining the route, well, it can’t be beat. The PMC brings out the best in everyone, all in the name of making cancer HISTORY.

In less than 48 hours, I’ll board a plane to Boston, pack my weekend bag, and head to Sturbridge for the start of the ride. On Friday evening, the PMC holds registration, a bike expo, and a massive carbo-load dinner, complete with Harpoon beer (a major – and much-appreciated – sponsor). Opening ceremonies for the ride are also held that night from Sturbridge (if you’d like to watch, it’ll be broadcast live on NECN on Friday at 7 PM). The scene is electric – PMC spirit fills the air.

Saturday and Sunday are emotion-filled days. There’s the agony of climbing a long hill, the thrill of coasting down a long descent at 40 mph, and the sense of accomplishment upon reaching each rest stop. And those are just the physical emotional triggers. There are many more times where I am moved beyond words by supporters lining the route, saying things like “I’m alive because of you” or “keep riding for my wife” or “27 years cancer-free!”

But most of all, I’m moved by the generosity I see each and every year from my friends and family, who support me in everything I do for this event. I am humbled by the support I receive, and I’ll push myself to my limit this weekend to honor you, the real heroes of the Pan-Mass Challenge. $30 million for cancer research – you’re an amazing part of that!

Check out this article from today’s Boston Globe. It provides a bit of background on the PMC and some history from its founder, Billy Starr.

Click here to make your donation.

No comments: