Thursday, June 30, 2011

Travelin’


I have been traveling quite a bit over the last few months for work, which has been cutting into my Pan-Mass Challenge training. I was in Minneapolis in April and Salt Lake City in June. I just returned from a trip to Portland, Oregon and will head to Tallahassee in July. While I am really enjoying the travel and the work, it unfortunately means I have that many fewer weekends on the bike.

I did, however, take some time while I was in Utah to drive down to Moab, home of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. My original plan was to rent a bike and ride the 60-mile loop through Arches National Park, but thanks to some sound advice from a woman at the Visitor Center, I opted instead to drive through Arches and bike Canyonlands National Park’s “Island in the Sky.” I had never biked at high elevation before, and it really took its toll (yes, it was the altitude, not the lack of training, that caused my sluggishness!).

I’m glad I was able to get 34 difficult miles in the saddle in Utah, because the PMC is only five weeks away! Where did this summer go? Oh right, it just started. It’s really time to start ramping up my training, but also my fundraising. My goal is to be a “heavy hitter” and raise $6,400, 50% higher than the PMC’s fundraising requirement. Expect to hear from me soon about making your donation.

Cancer won’t go away without cutting edge research like what doctors and researchers are doing at Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. 100% of your donation goes straight to the Jimmy Fund, Dana-Farber’s fundraising arm, so you can be sure your hard-earned dollars are going as far as possible to find cures for cancer. Be a part of a cancer-free future. Donate today.

No comments: