Thursday, August 4, 2011

Border-Bound

In just a few hours, my dad will arrive and take me and my teammate Lance (not Armstrong, the REAL Lance!) to Hillsdale, NY, where we'll stay overnight to prepare for our "Day 0" ride. Per usual, PMC weekend has approached faster than I could have imagined. Thoughts are swirling around my head about what awaits over the next three days. Here are some of the highlights:

  • Day 0 is incredibly hard - biking up and over the Berkshires. There is a sign that indicates a 5-mile descent into the Pioneer Valley, which will be the highlight of the day. I'll come close to hitting 50 mph!
  • Arriving in Sturbridge on Friday afternoon is a sight to behold. Thousands and thousands of riders and volunteers will be abuzz with positive energy. Oh, and Lance Armstrong will be there!
  • Rollout on Saturday morning is incredible. The sun rises before us as we roll out and begin the official Pan-Mass Challenge ride.
  • The signs that people hold up along the route are funny, tear-inducing, heartfelt, and fun. I can't wait to read them all and smile.
  • Massage! I'm going to get a massage at the end of Day 1!
  • Riding over the Bourne Bridge at the beginning of Day 2 is always a treat, even if it is a challenging hill. The views are incredible.
  • Da Hedge! Riding by a shrubbery lined with hundreds of camping children is the pick-me-up we all need to finish the ride.
  • Crossing the finish line in Provincetown has got to be one of the most bittersweet moments of my life. So happy for what I've accomplished, so sad to say goodbye to the weekend. A tear will be shed, guaranteed.
I'm leaving work early today to finish packing my weekend bag, then it's off to New York. There is still plenty of time to join the fight against cancer by making a donation. I'm overwhelmed by the support of my friends and family - thank you from the bottom of my heart!

1 comment:

Kim Fisher said...

Go Jared, GO!!!! Hugs!