Thursday, August 1, 2013

Two Days Before Two Days/190 Miles

Rolling out from Sturbridge.
This is around the time every year that the butterflies start forming in my stomach. I am two days out from riding my tenth Pan-Mass Challenge ride, and I couldn't be more excited! Here's a brief overview of what I'm going to be experiencing this weekend.

FRIDAY. I'll head to Sturbridge, my starting location, and get my first taste of PMC 2013 - the Sturbridge Host Hotel will be swarming with riders and volunteers. I'll get registered, meet my team for our final "carbo-loading" dinner, and watch the opening ceremonies (you can watch them live online at http://www.pmc.org/pmc-live). Then it's early to bed for an even earlier wake-up call.

SATURDAY. I'll wake up around 4 am and head back to the starting location in time to roll out at 5:30 am with thousands of other riders. We'll make our way from Sturbridge to Bourne, all 110 miles, on adrenaline, peanut butter bananas, and support from the volunteers and the cheerers that line the entire route. Upon the completion of Saturday's ride, I'll do the following in this order: park my bike, get a massage appointment, get a beer, say hi to Kim (my FAVORITE volunteer!), shower, have another beer, eat more than you can imagine, get my massage, have yet another beer, listen to live music, and go to bed. It's a long day, but it's all worth it!

SUNDAY. Another early wake-up call. Time to finish this ride! We roll out early and very quickly are faced with our first hill of the day - the Bourne Bridge. Then we ride along the Cape Cod Canal at sunrise and traverse the quaint towns of Cape Cod. The Brewster rest stop is a highlight of the day - it always has a party atmosphere and the food is particularly good there! Then another 40 miles to Provincetown. Here's a lesson I learned during my first PMC in 2004 - the Cape is not flat! Right before the finish line, my team will gather for our annual "champagne" toast photo, then we roll in together. More beer and food before heading back to Boston.

I cherish this weekend, and I'm happy that I get to share it with all of you. Your generous support over the last ten years is the sole reason I am able to experience this weekend. I truly appreciate it!

Because of the support of friends and family, I am only $475 away from reaching my goal of raising $6,700 this year! I'd really love to meet that goal before I roll out on Saturday. If you have yet to make a donation, now is the time! 100 percent of your money will go straight to the Jimmy Fund, Dana-Farber's fundraising arm. Be a part of history and support the PMC today! We will end cancer!

Please make your donation here: http://www2.pmc.org/profile/JF0128. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!

No comments: