Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Training Update


It's early June - how did that happen?? I think I know why. I haven't stopped traveling! Since the advent of nice weather in Boston, I've been to Washington State, Kentucky, Iowa, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, and Texas. And next week I go to Montana (hello Yellowstone!). You may be asking, Jared, how are you fitting your Pan-Mass Challenge training into your busy schedule?

Poorly. Since early April, I've only gotten four real training rides in, totaling 118 miles. This is just not going to cut it! I do ride Hubway around a lot (including my 5 mile commute home today), but my time on a heavy, 3-speed bike does not replace saddle time on my road bike.

Which brings me to two weeks ago. I met several of my teammates in Falmouth for a 62-mile ride around the Upper Cape. It was a beautiful day for a great ride, but about 23 miles in, I felt some rubbing on my tire. My bike mechanic teammate diagnosed the problem: cracked frame. AKA, totaled.

You can see the damage in the photo to the left (white vertical line by the cassette). After a cab ride back to Falmouth, I brought my bike to the shop and they took my bike to have the frame replaced. Luckily, the manufacturer (Specialized) warranties its carbon frame for life, so I just have to pay for disassembly and reassembly. So about a week from now, I should get back what looks like a brand new bike (though it will still have my same components).

I do have a second bike that is suitable for training, so I used that two weekends ago on my team's annual South Shore Coastal Loop ride - 50 miles of beautiful scenery! I'll ride it again this weekend on a 62-mile loop on the North Shore. I should have my other bike back in time for my big cycling adventure in June - a one-day, 125-mile ride from Boston to Provincetown! I should get several rides in between now and then, so hopefully they get me up to speed (figuratively and literally).

Training is the easy part. I ride to raise money to end cancer. Join the fight by making a donation today. Thank you!

No comments: