Monday, July 27, 2020

3 Days Until Re-Imagined Becomes Reality

How is it late July already?! Oh yeah, because Covid screwed up the time-space continuum. Somehow, I've been able to log over 1,000 miles on my bike since April - the most I have trained for the Pan-Mass Challenge since 2010! I've really taken advantage of my flexible work schedule (now that I don't have a commute) to be able to go out on rides on weekday mornings. My legs are feeling strong!

One of my recent training rides was my team's annual ride to visit our former pedal partner, Maya. In order to be safe and socially distant, we had a small group of teammates on this ride. Maya is now 8 and remains cancer-free! In this picture, my teammates and I are sporting our new team jerseys - we got one for Maya, too! She'll be out there kicking cancer to the curb on her bike with us someday soon, for sure!

And it's good that they are, because I have an epic re-imagined PMC later this week! On Thursday, I will ride from my house in Milton to my teammate Stephen's house in Medfield, then ride down to pick up the standard Sturbridge-Provincetown route in Wrentham. After that, we will follow the PMC route all the way to Bourne. We will continue riding by crossing the Bourne Bridge (a typical PMC Day 2 element), then turn south to ride to my team captain's house in Falmouth. My re-imagined Day 1 will be 106.3 miles.

On our re-imagined Day 2 (on Friday), we will ride from Falmouth to Provincetown, largely following the standard PMC Day 2 route, but making some deviations for safety (we won't have the luxury of police slowing down traffic or managing traffic at intersections like the PMC typically has). We also have another deviation to our route – we are visiting our new pedal partner, Abel, at his house in Mashpee! He is 3 and is fighting a rare form of cancer. We can’t wait to see him (from a safe distance, of course!). We will finish in traditional PMC fashion - with a ride through the dunes in Provincetown and my team's "champagne" toast at Herring Cove Beach! Our re-imagined Day 2 will be another century - 102.3 miles.

In all, I will ride 208.6 miles over two days. That is about 18 miles longer than the traditional PMC route! I tacked on the extra miles, in part, to demonstrate my continued commitment to this ride and this cause. Cancer isn't staying socially distant during the pandemic. And the work to discover new cancer treatments and provide world-class care for cancer patients at Dana-Farber hasn't stopped. They need us more than ever to allow them to continue the life-saving work that they do every day. 

I hope that my commitment to this ride and to raise $10,000 inspires you to commit to making a donation for a cancer-free world. 100% of your donation will go straight to the Jimmy Fund in support of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute's life-saving research and cancer treatment. Now more than ever, this amazing institution needs our contributions to continue to make cancer HISTORY. Thank you for your support!

No comments: