Monday, August 12, 2024

Another Fantastic PMC Weekend!

Over a week has passed, and I am finally coming down from the high that the Pan-Mass Challenge gives me every year. It's a familiar feeling as I re-enter reality after a weekend of camaraderie, support, and fun. Last Friday, I took a PMC bus to Sturbridge, my starting location. After retrieving my bike from the truck, registering (for the 21st time), and checking into my hotel, I returned to the starting location to meet up with my teammates, have a carbo-load dinner (and a few beers), and to watch the PMC opening ceremonies. The speakers this year were particularly inspiring, reminding us of the benefits of the huge amount of unrestricted funding that we raise each year.

It was early to bed, as wake-up on Saturday morning was 4 AM. Thankfully, the weather forecast improved. While it rained overnight, it didn't rain on us in the morning (though it was in the 70s, as were the dew points, so it was still quite wet). We all wear our 2024 PMC jerseys on Day 1, and it feels so cool to be in a sea of thousands of red jerseys - thousands of people from all over the state and beyond, committed to the same goal. We roll at 5:30 AM, after the annual singing of the National Anthem. As is tradition, I stopped a few miles in to say hi to Sheila, one of my most consistent supporters. Thanks for coming out year after year, Sheila!

Day 1 is the hillier of the two days. In particular, the first 40 miles include lots of steep climbs, and yes, steep descents. My familiarity with the route and the strength of my teammates riding together makes each climb a little easier. Also, there are often folks at the top of the hills cheering us on, giving us the motivation to push ourselves a little harder.

While it didn't rain on Day 1, it was hot and humid. Very much so. I kept drinking water with electrolytes which helped, but I was sweating it all out faster than I could take it in. Luckily, I avoided leg cramps which are common in extreme heat. The folks along the route who sprayed their hoses at us were so nice! As we approached the water stop at mile 85, we passed a mile of large signs with photos of all of the pedal partners (kids undergoing cancer treatment at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. A few teammates and I stopped to get a photo with the sign for Zinnia, our pedal partner (who we visited the weekend prior).

My teammates crossed the Day 1 finish line at the Mass Maritime Academy in Bourne shortly after 2 PM. Then a familiar order of operations began: park bike, get massage appointment, take a MUCH needed shower, get massage, have so much food, and have a few celebratory beers. It turned out to be a beautiful, sunny, and breezy afternoon and evening! Being right on Buzzards Bay helped with the heat and humidity, but the wind was a bit of foreshadowing for Sunday!

Day 2, like Day 1, starts early, I departed from the Mass Maritime Academy at 5 AM (still dark!) and picked up my teammates Theresa and Andrea along the way, en route to the Bourne Bridge. Luckily there wasn't too much congestion (lots of bikes in a tight space make it slow going!) and we rode over the bridge to meet the rest of our teammates on the other side. From there, we enjoyed a tailwind as we rode north along the Cape Cod Canal bike path at sunrise - absolutely stunning! From there, we ride through the quiet streets of Sandwich (quiet because it's still before 6 AM!) before jumping on the roller coaster ride that is Service Road. Keep up your momentum and you'll bomb down the descents and fly up the hills! Before we know it, we are at the first rest stop in Barnstable.

The rest of Day 2 has similar fun milestones to hit. The volunteers at the Brewster water stop (the Day 2 halfway point) always have the BEST frozen treats and they play the best music! We get our first glimpse of Cape Cod Bay at a scenic point along the ride. We ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail. We climb a steep hill and are rewarded with Twizzlers from my teammate Lance's family. And we climb, climb, climb the Truro Hills. The ride ends with two doozies - a long, exposed stretch of Route 6 (we had very strong crosswinds this year) and three steep climbs in the Provincelands. But Team Kinetic Karma always ends with a "champagne" toast! I finished feeling strong and accomplished - 21 PMCs in the books!

The ride is over, but the fundraising is not. I am still working hard to meet my personal $20,000 fundraising goal. 100% of your donation will go directly to the Jimmy Fund in support of the innovative research and compassionate care that the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is world-renowned for. Please make your cancer-fighting donation today. Thank you for your support!

1 comment:

Doug Cornelius said...

Always a pleasure to ride with you and to spend the PMC weekend with you.