So far in July alone, I've ridden almost 200 miles to train for my 23rd PMC. My weekends have been pretty busy, so I've been putting in as many miles as possible in the quiet mornings before heading to work. In addition to adding time in the saddle, the early morning starts are the perfect preparation for the early starts on PMC weekend.
This past Sunday, I met my teammates in Westport, MA for our annual Pedal Partner ride. The PMC Pedal Partner program pairs PMC cycling teams with children undergoing cancer treatment at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. This year, we are paired with Maggie, a vibrant six-year-old who is kicking butt in her fight against cancer! She lives in Rhode Island, so my team captain organized a beautiful 60-mile ride to see her. While the wind was intense, the views of the ocean and quaint villages we visited were reminiscent of the Day 2 PMC route. All of these rides have been great training for my three-day PMC.
I can hear some of you now - "Three days? I thought you said it was two!" In case you missed it, I've decided to tack on some extra miles for my 23rd PMC. On Friday, July 31 (a day referred to by my teammates as "Day 0,") I'll ride 60 miles from Amherst, Massachusetts to the new PMC starting location in Worcester. That, plus the 100 miles on Day 1 and 80 miles on Day 2, totals 240 miles over three days.That means I've increased my riding commitment by 33%. Perhaps that inspires you to increase your support of my ride? Remember, as it has been for the last 20 years, 100% of your donation will go directly to the Jimmy Fund in support of the innovative cancer research and compassionate cancer care that the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute delivers every single day. Especially in this time of uncertainty of federal grants for anything science-related, your donations are more critical than ever to continue to pursuit of a cancer-free world.
Please give, give generously, and give what you can. Together, we are getting closer by the mile. Make your cancer-fighting donation today.


No comments:
Post a Comment