Monday, July 19, 2010

A Round of Successes

I've had a lot of successes on the PMC front as of late. Since it's been a while since I posted a training/fundraising update, I have lots of news to share. Grab a cocktail, sit back, and relax (and read on!).
1. Flatbread Company Benefit Night was a huge success! For those of you who didn't know, I held a fundraising event at the brand new Flatbread Company restaurant in Davis Square last Tuesday. A ton of people (including over 50 friends and friends-of-friends) came out to support my PMC ride. By the end of the night, we had raised $350 in raffle ticket sales (congrats to the winners!), $72 in homemade cupcake sales (thanks Wendy!) and a whopping $494.75 in proceeds from pizza sales! That's well over $900, all of which goes directly to the Jimmy Fund. Not bad for an evening's work.  
Fundraising event: SUCCESS!
2. Team Kinetic Karma rode to visit Charlotte, our pedal partner, who is currently undergoing treatment for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Not everyone on the team was able to join us, but we made a strong presence at the Casgar household. Shy at first (who wouldn't be with a dozen men and women in head-to-toe spandex outfits in her driveway), Charlotte opened up and showed us her caterpillar toy. It really moves! :) We're all looking forward to seeing Charlotte and her family having fun at the "Pedal Partner" water stop in Lakeville on the first day of the PMC.
Making a child with cancer smile: SUCCESS!
3. Climb to the Clouds is an annual cycling event organized by Charles River Wheelmen, the local bike club. The ride includes a monumental climb up aptly-named Mile Hill Road to the Visitor's Center atop Mount Wachusett, just north of Worcester. My teammates and I started in Bolton and conquered the mountain together. In order to tack on some more miles, I continued my ride past the parking lot where we started the day to my house in Arlington. I finished the day strong with 92 miles and 3,658 feet of climbing under my belt. Click here for a map of the route and my stats for the day.
Being physically prepared for the PMC: SUCCESS!
So you can tell I've had a pretty successful couple of weeks. But real success will have happened when I've completed the 192-mile journey from Sturbridge to Provincetown and when I've achieved my goal of raising $6,300 for the Jimmy Fund in support of cancer research and care at Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. I'm hoping to ride this momentum for the next 18 days before the start of the PMC. Please make a donation today. Click here to support the cause and to be a part of a cancer-free future. Thank you for your support!

No comments: