Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ten

For the last nine years, the first weekend of August has been blocked off in my calendar. To me, the Pan-Mass Challenge isn't just a ride. It's not just a really slow way to get to Provincetown. It's not just a fun weekend with my friends. It's not just free Harpoon beer for three days (though that's a big part of it). The Pan-Mass Challenge is my life - it is a part of me.

2013 marks my tenth Pan-Mass Challenge ride. It's hard to believe that I've been doing it for so long. I think back to my first year - I was fresh out of college and thought that riding the PMC, something I had been thinking about doing for a few years, would be a good challenge. After not training very much, I hopped on my hybrid (slow) bike and struggled all the way to Provincetown. I ended the 2004 PMC swearing I'd never do it again -  it was just too hard.

January 2005 rolled around, and with it came the registration period for the 2005 PMC. I somehow forgot the challenges I faced in 2004 and signed up. I've never looked back ever since. I found ways to make the ride better for myself - I invited friends to join me on the ride, bought a new, faster bike, and became better at fundraising. There's only one thing that will keep me from riding the PMC - an end to cancer.

That's where you come in (and where you've been coming in for the last ten years). Since 2004, you've helped me raise over $40,000 for cancer research at Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. In the last ten years, we've seen incredible advancements in cancer treatment and care, including human genome mapping for cancer patients and new treatments going to clinical trial in order to save lives. We've come far, but we still have a ways to go.

I have committed to raising $6,700 in 2013 for the Pan-Mass Challenge. 100 percent of the funds that you donate will go directly to the Jimmy Fund, Dana-Farber's fundraising arm. A donation to the PMC is the most efficient way to fund the fight against cancer. Won't you join me? Together, we're getting closer by the MILE.

Make your donation today.

No comments: