Monday, May 15, 2017

Riding for Maya

On August 5 and 6, I will ride my bicycle 190 miles across Massachusetts. This probably comes as no surprise to you – I’ve been doing that for the last 13 years as a Pan-Mass Challenge rider. Many things in my life have changed since my first ride in 2004 (I was only 22!), but one thing has remained constant – my dedication to contributing to a world without cancer.

Since joining Team Kinetic Karma in 2010, I’ve had the pleasure of riding for and getting to know several Pedal Partners – children undergoing cancer treatment: Charlotte, Megan, and Anna. Now that all three of them have completed their treatments and are cancer-free, my team was looking for a new Pedal Partner for our 2017 ride. Little did I know that our next pedal partner would be so close.

Maya, our Pedal Partner
In January, my officemate Gina’s daughter Maya turned five years old. In February, doctors found a large mass on one of her kidneys. Following surgery to remove it, doctors told Gina and her husband that Maya has Clear Cell Sarcoma, a very rare renal cancer. Maya completed six days of radiation and now is undergoing seven months of chemotherapy to beat her cancer. Gina reports that Maya is taking her treatments in stride and that she is starting to see positive results!

I truly believe that the funds that donors contribute to Pan-Mass Challenge riders is making a difference in the fight against cancer. While still a terrible family of diseases, I think that there are more and more success stories about cancer than there were 5, 10, or 20 years ago. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, one of the premier cancer research hospitals in the world, is helping to lead that charge, and I am honored to raise money for their work to save the lives of children like Maya.

Team Kinetic Karma ready to ride for Maya!
Earlier this month, my team and I were delighted to spend time with Maya at the Pedal Partner Party at Fenway Park. Sporting a unicorn hoodie that even the adults were jealous of, Maya charmed my teammates, and all fell in love with her. While Wally the Green Monster was a little too scary for her (he scares me too, Maya), all in all it was a good day. We look forward to our team training ride to her house this summer and seeing her at the Pedal Partner water stop on Day 1 of the ride!

Please join me in my continued quest for a cancer-free world. My 2017 goal is to raise $9,000 to support the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute’s innovative cancer research and compassionate care that is saving lives like Maya’s. 100 percent of your donation goes straight to this important cause – the fight against cancer. Please make your donation today. Thank you!

4 comments:

Hannah Baker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
getnew said...

there are some good websites which provide training certification

Anonymous said...

Great infformative!!!!

goldenslot
สูตรบาคาร่า

Hannah Baker said...

Thank you for your post.Easyshiksha providesdistance education in india