Monday, June 19, 2017

Slow Start to Spring Training

On the new bridge on the Lower Neponset River Trail
It's been a wet spring here in New England, which has been putting a damper on my Pan-Mass Challenge training. In addition, it's been a busy spring - weddings, new house upkeep, and tending to my broken-legged husband have taken up more of my time than normal. I've yet to clock 50 miles in a single ride, which is usually an early milestone in my training. 

I haven't been sedentary, though! The Lower Neponset River Trail was just extended behind our new house in Milton - we can see it from our back yard! From our house to the new terminus in Mattapan Square, then to the ocean and back is about 11 miles round trip. I certainly need to be biking more than that, but it's a peaceful, beautiful ride through my neighborhood and others. Ian has been biking with me - he's rebuilding the muscles in his leg, and I'm getting some much-needed miles in!
View of the Neponset River as it meets the Atlantic Ocean

One aspect of preparing to ride the PMC that I haven't been slacking on is the fundraising. I am exactly halfway to my fundraising goal of $9,000 thanks to some very generous donors. You could (and should, IMHO!) be one of them! Here's my standard run-down of why supporting your local PMC rider is an excellent idea:
  • 100 percent of your donation will go straight to the Jimmy Fund, the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute's fundraising arm. That money funds cancer research that saves lives.
  • Cancer SUCKS. This year more than ever, I'm learning that lesson as people close to me battle a form of cancer. 
  • PMC donations are making a difference in the fight against cancer. Click here to read about how last year's $47 million is making a difference.
I could go on, but I think you get the point. Making a donation to the Pan-Mass Challenge is an excellent way to take a stand against cancer. Do it for Maya, my team's pedal partner who is battling Clear Cell Sarcoma right now. Do it for a loved one who may have passed away from cancer. Do it for yourself. Please make your cancer-fighting donation today by clicking here. Thank you!

No comments: