Thursday, July 27, 2017

Climb to the Cramps

The most important training ride that I do every year is an organized ride called Climb to the Clouds. It ranges from 48 to 100 miles, depending on the route you choose. Some of the routes include riding up Mount Wachusett (hence the name of the ride). I did the 60-mile route, which includes the big climb.

At mile 20 or so (beginning of the big climb) I didn't feel strong, but I motored up the hill anyway. But at mile 50, at the last big hill of the ride, my left quad started to cramp. I thought to myself, just push through this - the end is near! Well, I kept pushing, then my right quad started to cramp. Then my left hamstring. Then my right hamstring. Soon both of my legs were on fire! I had to stop, just a few hundred feet from the top of the hill. As I reached my feet for the ground, both legs fully extended and seized up. I couldn't move, and was in excruciating pain! It took a few minutes to just be able to get my feet back on the pedals. Worst. Cramps. Ever!

Ice cream at the end of the ride was amazing!
I've always said that if you finish the Climb to the Clouds, you're ready for the PMC. While I did finish the ride, it put a dent in my confidence. It wasn't a lack of strength that did me in, it was a lack of good nutrition. Luckily, during the PMC, the volunteers pretty much through food and beverages at you, so I'm at a low risk of cramping badly during the PMC. Fingers crossed!

Don't forget to make your cancer-fighting donation! Do it today! Thank you.

No comments: