Tuesday, August 3, 2010

We Ride For...

Nearly everyone has been touched by cancer personally - you may have a friend or loved one that has battled the disease, or you may have battled it yourself. The strength and courage exhibited by those cancer afflicts, whether or not they are successful at fighting off the disease, inspires us to do something - give platelets, volunteer our time, open our wallets, and, in my (and 5,200 other people's) case, ride a bicycle across Massachusetts.
I ride for my own reasons, but for yours as well. Last year, PMC organizers began a new tradition at the overnight stop between the two riding days in Bourne. They made huge "We Ride For..." banners for riders to write the names of those who have inspired them to ride and those who have inspired their supporters to make donations to advance cancer research to one day make cancer history. These banners then fly high over the finish line, reminding us all why we do what we do. Last year, I wrote the name Emily Brooks, my grandmother who died while undergoing her battle with cancer twelve years ago. This year, I'll write her name again, not just for me, but for my mom and her six siblings who lost their mother to cancer and for my grandfather who lost his wife, companion, and friend.
I'd like to write the names of everyone that inspires YOU to support this worthy cause. Is there someone that you would like for me to ride in honor or in memory of? Leave a comment and send me an email with their name(s) by Thursday at noon, and I'll bring the list to Bourne to write them all, to tell the world who "We Ride For."

No comments: