Thursday, August 5, 2010

Here We Go...

Seven months of planning, five months and 1,200 miles of training, and four months of fundraising have finally led up to this moment. Today I will begin my extended Pan-Mass Challenge journey as I travel to Hillsdale, NY to prepare for my first of three days of riding. Here's a day-by-day preview of my weekend:
Day -1 (Thursday): My dad is picking me up at 3 PM and will drive me to the New York/Massachusetts border where I'll spend the night in a motel to prepare for tomorrow's ride. Before then, I need to finish packing and send out my last fundraising emails and Facebook messages. Busy day!
Day 0 (Friday): I'll be arising at 5:30 AM (that's sleeping in on PMC weekend!), gather my things, and proceed to the starting location of the ride, right on the state border. After a few ceremonial photos, we'll roll off on our way to Sturbridge at 7:30 AM. Along the way we'll be climbing some long and steep hills as we traverse the Berkshire mountains before descending into the Pioneer Valley (my homeland!). We'll be provided with a few rest stops, including a curiously located oasis at the Magic Lantern in Palmer (yes, THAT Magic Lantern). Finally, around 4 PM, we'll arrive in Sturbridge to start the official PMC experience.
Day 1 (Saturday): I'll awaken much earlier on Saturday, probably around 3:45 AM (the ride begins at 5:30!). I'm so excited about all the milestones I now know to anticipate - seeing my friend Kim at her volunteer post in Whitinsville, being greeted by the puffy ladies at the Franklin water stop, seeing the Over the Hill Cheerleaders, riding down Cherry Street, seeing Charlotte at the Pedal Partner water stop in Lakeville, and seeing the Bourne Bridge in the distance upon arriving at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy to close the day. It'll be a 111-mile day but I'm sure I'll end it with a huge smile on my face.
Day 2 (Sunday): Sunday is another early day - my teammates and I are planning to hit the road at 5:30 AM again. There are more milestones on Day 2: climbing the steeper-than-you-think Bourne Bridge at sunrise, speeding along the Cape Cod Canal bike path, riding the roller coaster that is Service Road, Da Hedge, seeing Jack (He'll be holding a sign saying "I'm 14 thanks to you") at Nickerson State Park, taking in the ocean views on Ocean View Drive, seeing the Over the Hill Cheerleaders (yes, again!), and climbing the dunes in Provincetown before arriving at the finish line.
This may seem like a lot, but trust me, it all goes by in a flash. It takes a lot of concentration just to be able to take it all in. I'll be updating Facebook throughout the ride so that you can get a better sense of what the PMC is all about. So stay tuned!
I am so close to reaching my fundraising goal, but I still need your help to put me over the edge. I hope to raise $900 more dollars in order to meet my $6,300 fundraising goal. Perhaps you've been inspired by my commitment to the ride, or Charlotte's brave fight against her childhood leukemia, or your own personal experiences with cancer in yourself or a loved one. Your donation will send a strong message that you believe in a cancer-free future. 100 percent of your donation will go directly to the Jimmy Fund in support of innovative cancer research and compassionate patient care at Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, one of the world's leading cancer centers. Now is the time - click here to make your donation today.
Thank you,
Jared

No comments: