Thursday, July 12, 2018

$2,500 in 7 Days Challenge!

It's that time of year again! Today I am launching my $2,500 in 7 Days Challenge! Over the next week, I will aim to raise $2,500 towards my $10,000 fundraising goal. To do it, I'll be posting stories on Facebook about why I ride, what the ride is like, who I ride for, and where the money goes.

Today, I'll tell you about my first Pan-Mass Challenge, in 2004. I was about to graduate from college, and really had no idea what I was going to do afterwards. I knew I'd be living in Boston, that was it. I wanted something firm to work towards, so I signed up for the PMC.

While I had read up on the PMC extensively, I really had no idea what I was getting into. While I had done a long charity bike ride before, this was on a whole other level. Thousands of people riding, almost all on fancy road bikes (I had a mountain bike with smooth tires), on unfamiliar roads. I rode alone for most of the ride, since I didn't know anyone and was slower than most.

I distinctly remember slowly riding into Provincetown on the (hot) afternoon of Day 2. I had been to Provincetown before, so I knew that when I saw the Pilgrim Monument, I was close! But, what I didn't know is that the PMC route takes a right off of Route 6 into the Provincelands, adding 5 very hilly miles. I nearly cried. But I soldiered through and crossed the finish line, somehow! I remember thinking "I will never do this again!" but when registration came around the following year, I signed up for my second PMC without hesitation.

It's amazing how things have changed over the last 14 years, both in my life and in my PMC world. Since 2010, I've been a part of the scrappiest and most fun team, Kinetic Karma. And I have a wider circle of friends and family who are generous enough to support my fundraising efforts. I've lost friends to cancer over this time, and have had many others, including several family members, beat cancer. I am honored to ride in their memory and honor.

Please help me kick off my fundraising challenge by donating today. Together, we will make cancer HISTORY. Thank you!

No comments: