Monday, July 30, 2018

Training Complete! PMC in T-5 Days!

On Saturday, my teammates and I completed our final training ride for this year's Pan-Mass Challenge - a 64-mile ride on the Cape! It's a Team Kinetic Karma tradition to do this final ride right before the PMC. The route backtracks along the PMC Day 2 route for about 13 miles, so it's nice to get a reminder of what is to come on the PMC.

The weather was dry, in that rain wasn't falling from the sky, but it was about 98 percent humidity, which meant we were drenched in sweat early in the ride. Luckily, the first 20 miles or so have many glimpses of the ocean, and the cool sea breezes that accompany those views. It didn't get that hot until midday. We would have ridden in any weather conditions, though. You never know what you're going to get weather-wise on the PMC!

I felt great throughout the ride, despite getting fewer training rides in this year. The great thing about riding in a group is that we are more efficient together (in a pace line) than separate. This was most true as we rode along the Cape Cod Canal. A steady southwest wind was in our faces as we rode that scenic stretch of the ride. We got in a tight line and took turns leading the pack, and were able to average 18-21 mph! That's the power of teamwork!

Near the end of the route is a bridge that is a popular spot for teenagers to jump into the water below. Teenagers and cyclists, that is. I had never done it before (I'm NOT chicken! I just never loved the thought of wearing my wet cycling shorts the rest of the way to the finish.). Well, this year, the water was too enticing, and I jumped in. It was amazing! So refreshing. That was a nice way to end my training. :)

My 15th Pan-Mass Challenge is in five days! I can't believe it! A huge, heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who has donated to this wonderful cause so far this year. I am still fundraising to reach my goal, so I encourage all of you who haven't yet made your donation to do so today! The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is one of the best cancer hospitals in the world, right here in our backyard in Boston. The research being conducted there is saving lives today and will save even more in the future. 100 percent of your donation will go directly to the Jimmy Fund in support of the innovative research and compassionate, life-saving care going on at Dana-Farber. Together, we will make cancer HISTORY! Please donate today. Thank you!

No comments: