Thursday, July 5, 2018

Getting the Miles In!

Maya, our pedal partner, is on the top left! Now that's a happy, healthy girl!
It was a very busy spring, and summer is starting off very busy too! But I've made time to get three long training rides in so far.

On Memorial Day weekend, some of my teammates and I continued with tradition and rode a loop on the South Shore of Boston. Despite it being late May, the weather was hot and humid, making for a difficult ride. But, those will likely be the conditions for the PMC, so it's good training!

In June, Ian and I trekked north to Vermont to ride the Long Trail Century Ride. A century is a 100-mile ride, but we opted for the more reasonable 60-mile route. Rain clouds threatened to drench us, but we stayed dry (from rain, anyway) for almost all of the ride. The ride features one massive hill, followed by roads that follow rivers and hug lakes - beautiful! Gratefully, the hill is in the first third of the ride and the rest is relatively flat, so once you conquer that hill, you can just enjoy the rest. We also enjoyed the free beer and barbecue at the end!

And just last weekend, my teammates and I did a training ride to visit Maya, our pedal partner. It was another hot one! At mile 10 or so we stopped at Maya's house, as we had done last year. The difference between seeing her this year versus last year was remarkable. She had so much more energy, and hair! Her smile says it all, and she made us all smile. She is the reminder of why we ride - to help put an end to cancer.

The PMC is in just under a month! There will be more training rides between now and then to get my legs ready for the long ride. But it's not all on me - there are many who will make the ride the best weekend of the year. My teammates will make it feel like a rolling party. The volunteers will make sure I'm fully hydrated and fed. The folks along the route cheering us on will give me the energy to keep going. Maya will remind me of why we ride and the impact of the money we raise. And you, my donors, will remind me that, if we all come together for a common cause worthy of our time and money, we can make a difference. Please make your cancer-fighting donation today!

No comments: