Monday, June 9, 2008

Spent.

Wow. They were right. HEAT WAVE!
I rode over 150 miles on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this weekend. It was great training for the PMC - long, hot consecutive days in the saddle, but man, am I spent.
Friday was actually cool and cloudy. In order to increase the difficulty level on the relatively short route, I added in a few roads with known hills. Unfortunately, they were in Belmont, which, for some reason, doesn't believe in repaving its roads. It's a miracle I didn't get a flat tire, or worse.
The ride on Saturday was organized by Charles River Wheelmen, the local bicycling club. The route took us through quiet and tree-covered roads north of Boston. It was a nice ride in an area I haven't explored much. It was hot, but not as hot as...
Sunday was HOTT. I decided to ride the beautiful Cape Ann route I've been doing for a few years now. It hugs the coast for most of its length, so I figured the sea breeze would keep me cool. Not so much. I was sweating buckets. I was completely done when I finished the ride at the Salem commuter rail station, but I looked forward to the air conditioned train that would whisk me back to Boston. Not so much. No A/C. But again, it's good training for the PMC - the overnight stay on the ride in Bourne has no A/C either!

No comments: